Author Archives: Umesh
This post we will generate sample data for further utilisation. In ETL world, if you want to test some components you must need data, but getting a desire sample data is very difficult.
To generate sample data we will use tRowGenerator component which has built in editor where you can select functions or write your won expressions to get expected sample data.
Spte 1: Start writing on Talend designer canvas “trow…” it will show you list of component, from the list select tRowGenerator component.
Note: This is new feature from Talend wherein you don`t need to search component in pallet and then drag and drop.
See in picture.
Step 2: Double click on component and do the setting in tRowGenerator using it`s editor.
- Click on [+] sign to add new column, add new column with name =”name”,
- Select function form “Function” tab on same columns grid.
- Select “TalendDataGenerator.getFirstName” function from function list.
- Add following columns and select the relavant function as we did previously.
- City = TalendDataGenerator.getUsCity
- Now we have 4 columns but we need another one column for Identity number, so add column “ID” with “integer” data type.
- In function Tab select “…” (three dots). You will see function parameters window with single row, down to the columns grid.
- There are three tabs first one “Parameter” is fixed, with no edit option, second on for “value” and last one for “comment”
- Click on value tab it will show you “…” dots then click on it, it opens expression builder for edit. you can add your custom logic here.
- Select “Numeric” routine then select “sequence” keep the default values.
- In “Number of Rows for RowGenerator” text box write value=10. ( we required only ten rows to be generated)
- Click on preview button on below window it will show you generated sample data as a result, it will look like below Image.
For demonstration we have generated only ten rows, but you are free to generate as many as rows you require.
Step 3: Add tLogRow, and connect with tRowGenerator using main flow.
Step 4: Run the job it will show you below result.
If you want to insert this data to the file or database then use the specific compoent e.g. tFileOutputDelimited to store in delimited file.
This post I will describe, how to get most resent file from directory based on display date or a date from file name.
We have below sample files in our directory and every file has date in the name of file, based on that we will decide which file is most resent rather than file created date/ modified date.
As you can see, we have three list of files.
- sales element 11 2014.xls has been modified at 28-01-2015
- sales element 02 2015.xls has been modified at 28-01-2015
- sales element 12 2014.xls has been modified at 03-03-2015
If we use file created or modified date to get most resent file then we will get ” sales element 12 2014.xls” which is a wrong file.
To get a latest file from directory we will use below steps.
Step 1: Add tFileList component and configure it get all .xls files form directory. see the image for details.
Step 2: Add tFileProperties component and connect with tFileList using Iterator link, then provide file path and name from global variable. which looks like this ((String)globalMap.get(“tFileList_1_CURRENT_FILEPATH”)).
Step 3: Add tMap after tFileProperties and connect with main link and do the fowling setting in it.
- Create output name as “FileList”.
- Add all the source columns to this output.
- Add new variable in tMap using variable creation, write this code in it.
- Create new column in output with the name “DisplayDate” and datatype is Date.
- Add below code in it.
TalendDate.parseDate(“MM yyyy”, Var.var1)
- See the image for more details.
Step 4: Add tHashOutput component after tMap and connect with main link.
Step 5: Add tHashInput Component below tFileList and link using “OnSubJobOk” trigger.
Step 6: Copy Schema from tHashOutput to tHashInput.
Step 7: Add tAggregateRow component and connect with tHashInput using main flow link. Do the basic setting like below.
Step 8: Add tLogRow to check the result. you will see the output as below.
Step 9: Your job design should be look like in below Image.
Note: You can avoid using tHash***** components just use tAggregateRow after tMap and do the setting as is, it will work.
I have listed down some of the common differences between tJava, tJavaRow and tJavaFlex component.
|Use component to integrate your custom Java code||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|It will be executed first but only once in the subjob.||Yes||No||–|
|It requires Input Flow||No||Yes||No|
|It Requires Output Flow||No||If output Schema Defined||If output Schema Defined|
|It can be used as Start of the Job||Yes||No||Yes|
|It can be used as a separate subjob||Yes||No||Yes|
|It accepts Main Flow or Iterator Flow||Both||Only Main||Both|
|It has three Java code parts (start, main, end)||No||No||Yes|
|It will Auto propagate Data||No||No||Yes|
tJava advantage: this component can be use as trigger component, At start of the job at end of the job.
tJavaRow : this component required main flow so it can be used at end of the Sub Job but not at the start of subjob.
tJavaFlex: this component holds capabilities of tJava & tJavaRows you can use this component for row generation, or at start of job, or at then end of sub job. or individual subjob. It gives you ability to auto propagate data.
You came across here that means it is worth of writing this post. 🙂
Whenever I go for the interview there will be some new questions, so I thought why not to draft all these questions at single place?
It is just attempt to remember all Talend Interview question nothing else.
- Difference between tMap and tJoin component in Talend .
- Difference between tAggregaterow and tAggregatesortedrow.
- Difference between tJava,tJavarow,tJavaflex.
- How to improve the performance of Talend job having complex design?
- Difference between built in schema and Repository.
- What is the declaration of method which we define in system routine?
- What is XMS and XMX parameter in Talend?
- How to resolve heap space issue in Talend ?
- How to do the exception handling in Talend?
- What is Default join for tMap.
- What are the different lookup patterns available with Talend?
- What is the basic requirement while updating the perticular table?
- How to generate surrogate key by using Talend?
- What is the use of Expression editor in Talend?
- How to debug a particular Talend job.
- What is context variable and context group?
- How to pass the variables from parent job to child job and from child job to Parent?
- How to forcefully exit the job.
- Explain the use of tContextload.
- How to execute multiple queries by using Talend?
- How to do the multithreading while executing the Job?
- What is hashmap in Talend and how to use it?
- How to do the full join in Talend.Explain the steps.
- How to do the right outer join in Talend? Explain the steps?
- How the ELT database components are differ from ETL database Components.
- How to use the external libraries in Talend?
- How to pass data from parent job to child jobs through tRunjob component ?
- How to load context variables dynamically?
- How to Share DB Connection in Talend?
- Skip Header rows and footer rows before load.
- What is Incremental Load? Describe using Talend.
- How can you pass a value form parent job to child job in Talend.
- How to call stored procedure and function in Talend Job
If you have any question which is not listed here please send me i will add it to the list. with your reference.
To read a Multi schema Positional file we will use tFileInutMSPositional component, this component gives ability to read multiple schema based on certain columns value.
We are using Invoice file which has Invoice Header & invoice Details records in single file.
Invoice Header records start with “H” alphabet.
Invoice Details records start with “T’ alphabet.
follow the steps to read these multi schema records.
- Create a job and add tFileinputMSPositional component.
- Configure tFileinputMSPositional component with.
- provide file Name.
- row separator as per your file defaulted to “n”
- “Header Filed Position” this is the most important filed by which component will distinguish records whether it is header or detail. in our case first letter of row which is “H” for header and “T” for detail. so we will add value as “0-1” that means start of record to 1 character long.
- In “Records” section add two rows name it as “header” for Header records and “details” for Details record.
- once you add row it will ask you for schema add Header schema like below.
- Create details schema as follows.
- Now add pattern for “header” as “1,8,6,8,3”.
- Add pattern for details as “1,8,1,6,1,1,*”.
- now our configuration completed.
- Add two tLogRow component and from settings tab select “mode>Table”
- Connect first tLogRow to the tFileInputMSPositional using “Header” link.
- Connect Second tLogRow to the tFileInputMSPositional using “Detail” link.
- Synch tLogRow columns.
Execute the job. It will show you below output.
In this post i will describe you how to read/process multi schema delimited file using tFileInutMSDelimited component.
here is our sample input data which has header records then its trailer records.
Invoice Header record start with “H” alphabet and Invoice Detail/trailer record start with “T” Alphabet.
we will use tFileInutMSDelimited component to parse these records. so create a job and drag and drop tFileInutMSDelimited component and then double click on it, it will show you another screen for metadata creation.
select our source file, then select column separator & row separator, once that is done then flow the below steps.
- In preview window select first column which has “H” and “T” values.
- In Schema grid click on add button and provide following values.
- Click on “OK” you will one record created with provided values.
- Click on fetch Codes button, it fetch all the visible codes from mention file and creates schema based on column delimiter.
- Our configuration looks like below image.
- Now go to the component setting tab and click on first schema which may look like row_A_1 click on it.
- it will show you schema with default column names.
- modify column name as follows.
- We are done with Header schema now do the same thing with Trailer schema and modify column names.
- Add tLogRow and connect to the tFileInputMSDelimited component using “row_A_1” schema.
- Do the Same thing for “row_B_1” schema.
- Now Execute the job your output will be like this.
you can achieve same thing using other ways, but trust me this is the most simple way.
When you start Talend you will get wellcome screen with few option to select, create or import projects, but if you are starting Talend very first time then you should be aware of following project and connection type.
Create/Connect Local Project.
- Click on three dot button (…) which take to the next step of creating new project.
- At left side click on [+] button to add new connection.
- Select Repository as “local”
- Provide “Name” for connection like “local”, “LocalTalend”
- Provide Description if required.
- write email address and password to the respective filed.
- Select “workspace” area which is more important because all your jobs and projects will be created in this area.
- Click on “OK” button. here you have created your first connection as local.
By this way you can add many connection as per your requirement.
Create/Connect to Remote Project.
- Select “Remote” option from Repository drop-down box.
- Provide valid name in “Name” field, it will be defaulted with “remote”
- Description is optional, but recommend you to provide.
- provide TAC user email address, it try using this email id with your remote repository.
- provide Password against email id, this should be configured/created prior to this step using TAC.
- provide your local machines workspace area ( where do want to create local copy of repository?).
- Web-app url, you need to provide valid repository url wherein repository have been configured, generally you could find it in TAC or ask to your TAC administrator.
- check on “check-URL” to verify repository connection/access.
- Click on “OK” and go back to login window.
- once came back on previous screen you will able to select remote repository.
- Now select Project from “project list”.
- if you don`t see anything then click on “refresh button” it will show you available projects from repository.
- SVN branch, will populated automatic if you different branch address for project then you select it from available branches.
- click on “Open” button, it will show you Studio with available project & Jobs.
- Offline project is available in enterprise addition.
- You don`t need to configure or create, it should be activated from TAC.
- By using this you can work offline when you are not connected to the “Remote” project. it ill check-in all changes to the repository as soon as you get connected.
You are free to ask your questions.
In this post, I will describe you, how to parse xml having nested loops in Talend. For that I am using below XML as source.
Source XML has list of Items from a retail store, and <item> node repeated for each item. Inside <item> node we have nested nodes for <batter> and <topping> our task is to read all the items with nested loops in their separate flow.
Image of source XML.
Sample XMl file with Nested Loops
First of all you should create metadata of your XML file, but in this post I am using XSD to populate source schema in tXMLMap.
Create new job and add tFileinputXML component and configured it as shown in Image.
Image of tFileInputXMl component.
We have set XPATH Loop to “/items” as this is the root node of XML file. then I have created one column with “Document” data type. see in Image.
tXMLMap and connect with tFileinputXML component using “Main” link.
Open tXMLMap right click on “items” node at right(source) side then select “Import from file”.
provide XSD file it will automatically create all sub nodes. like below image.
Set batter & toppiq as “loop” element by right click and select ” As loop element”
Create two outputs, “batter” and “tappinq” then drag respective columns to “batter & tappinq”
Click on “set loop function” box it will open a window wherein you have add new row and select respective loop path e.g. for “toppinq” i will select “toppinq” loop like wise batter for “batter” output.
Your Final settings looks like below image.
we are ready to get the result add tLogRow components for each of the output and execute the job it show results shown in image.
This post will contain Talend Tips & Tricks which saves your time while Coding, Java Converts, If Conditions, Expression Builder and many more area.
- Always do Empty string and Null handling before converting.
!Relational.ISNULL(row1.StartDate) && row1.StartDate!=""?TalendDate.parseDate("yyyy-MM-dd", "2015-02-19"): TalendDate.parseDate("yyyy-MM-dd", "1999-01-01")
- Comparing with String values always use like below.
"Umesh".equals(row1.UserName) or "Umesh".equalsIgnoreCase(row1.UserName) instead of "Umesh"=row1.UserName or row1.UserName.equalsIgnoreCase("Umesh")
- Avoid using Short hand method or class methods for string.
StringHandling.TRIM(string); //for Trim
TalendDate.isDate("yyyy-MM-dd", "2015-02-19") for date validation
Relational.ISNULL(null) function to check whether string is null or not.
- Exclude unwanted routines from build.
Remove or add required routines to the job, because unnecessarily it will be exported with job. you can manage routines by following below steps.
- Right Click on job from Repository.
- Select Option “Setup routine dependencies”.
- Now you will have new window with two tabs one for “user routines” and other one for ” System routines” by using [+] or remove button on each tab you can manage routines.
- see the Image for more details.
If you think I am missing some other areas then do let me know.